03 Apr Job Opening: Africa Regional Director – CLOSED
MEC is hiring a Regional Director for its East Africa program. The position is based out of Nairobi, Kenya and reports to CEO MicroEnergy Credits.
About MicroEnergy Credits
MicroEnergy Credits (MEC) is a global social enterprise that enables greater access to clean energy for poor people around the world by tapping the carbon market to expand access to capital. By helping financial institutions (FIs) provide microloans for clean energy technologies, those in the greatest need can purchase solar lighting for their homes or businesses, smoke-free stoves for their kitchens, and water purifiers. With financing, clean energy technologies become more affordable than wood or fossil fuels while offering a cleaner, safer and more efficient energy source. More than 6 million people have already adopted clean energy as a result of MEC’s financing program in Asia and Africa.
MEC is a fast-moving, innovative team which leverages global trends and advancements in mobile platforms, mobile money, and technology to streamline financial, product delivery, and after sales operations.
- Lead an experienced team in the development of the world’s first multi-lender clean energy mobile lending (CEMLP) fintech platform for solar home systems and clean cookstoves
- Lead the completion of an initial seed round capital raise for the platform
- Manage a great established team in Kenya
- Manage the development and launch of the CEMLP in collaboration with MEC’s global management team, IT developer consultants, lending partners, and other stakeholders
- Effectively engage potential investors, foundations, and international agencies to communicate the business plan for the CEMLP as part of the capital raise
- Oversee business development with potential lending partners for the CEMLP
- Interface with Senior Management at current lending and supplier partners
- Develop partnerships with national and international institutions and stakeholders related to the CEMLP
- Manage current distribution and marketing operations in Kenya in collaboration with MEC’s Chief Marketing Officer
- Oversee all administrative activities of MEC’s African operations including financial management
- Provide support to MEC’s Carbon Team with respect to MEC’s carbon credit origination business in Africa
- 3-years of experience in leadership and management of social enterprises in emerging markets, experience in East Africa a plus
- Demonstrated success in raising philanthropic and/or private capital
- Experience working with financial institutions such as banks, microfinance institutions, or mobile lenders
- Experience with the clean energy industry including solar home systems, solar lanterns, and clean cookstoves in emerging markets
- Knowledge of financial technology such as mobile money and mobile lending
- Knowledge of carbon markets a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required, but an MBA preferred
- Fluency of the English language required, though Swahili speakers a plus
- Excellent Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills
- Passion for MEC’s mission
- Ability to work in a decentralized, global team
- Demonstrated self-starter, problem-solver, communicator, and team player
This position will be compensated commensurate with experience and relevant skills.
How to Apply:
Please send CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “African Regional Director”.