06 Mar Job Opening: Program Manager
Role: Program Manager
Dated: March 2019
Reports to: Africa Regional Manager, MicroEnergy Credits
Location: Nairobi, Kenya, East Africa
What we are looking for
MicroEnergy Credits is seeking a dynamic Program Manager to lead the development and implementation of clean energy partnership programs with Micro-Finance Institutions, Commercial Banks and other lending partners in east Africa. The Program Manager role is a rare opportunity to work in the field at the forefront of clean energy and microfinance, as MicroEnergy Credits continues developing an innovative financial inclusion and energy access business in Africa, focusing on Kenya with intention to expand to new markets.
The Program Manager will i) identify and approach potential lending program partners (MicroFinance Institutions, Commercial banks, and other lending partners), ii) develop partnership programs at those lending partners to initiate or grow a clean energy lending program, in conjunction with the Africa Regional Manger, and iii) implement the partnerships, including working on-site with the lending partner for a period of time, leveraging the MicroEnergy Credits infrastructure, experience and global resources to implement a successful clean energy lending product line. The Program Manager is anticipated to manage several clean energy lending programs, depending on successful partnership development.
About MicroEnergy Credits
MicroEnergy Credits (MEC) is a social enterprise that enables greater access to clean energy for poor people around the world by tapping carbon markets to expand access to finance. By helping financial institutions (FIs) provide microloans for clean energy technologies, those in the greatest need can purchase solar lighting for their home or business and smoke-free stoves for their kitchens. With microfinance, clean energy technologies become more affordable than wood or fossil fuels while offering a cleaner, safer and more efficient energy source. MEC has already helped multiple financial partners provide nearly three million loans for a variety of clean energy products (solar lighting, improved cookstoves, and water filters) across programs in Asia, Africa and Mongolia. In Africa, MEC is developing a new business line called “Chaguzi”, a mobile lending marketplace that will enable customers choice in both clean energy products and financing. The intention is that this new business line would be developed to the point where it can be spun off into a new socially-focused enterprise.
- Program development and implementation
- Identify appropriate lending partners (including Microfinance Institutions, Commerical banks and other lending partners), approach those partners and develop program partnerships as part of the Chaguzi business line.
- Implement a structured program at the lending partner(s), from start to finish, to enable the lending partner to have a scale-able clean energy program as part of the Chaguzi business line. Program components may include market research, development of new lending products, process development/operations development/logistical management, marketing and technical training, and partner leadership engagement, among other elements of program development.
- Work on-site with the lending partner for a period of time, to develop the components of the partnership, initiate and implement the lending program, and ensure success.
- Teamwork and Coordination
- Work as a team with the lending partner staff and management, in particular their clean energy program manager or key staff liaison point.
- Provide frequent updates to both MEC management as well as the lending partner Management and Board on the progress of the clean energy program.
- Coordinate collection of data (including baseline data, as well as setting up systems to collect data), track progress, and raise issues or identified risks early.
- Seek out risks and proactively seek solutions to problems prior to their occurrence.
- Work collaboratively with other Program Managers to share best practices, product knowledge and successful solutions to problems.
- Operations and Technology
- Work with the MEC logistics management team to ensure that operational processes are developed and implemented at the lending partner(s).
- Perform monthly sales analysis to identify opportunities for improvement and performance management/monitoring.
- Train and monitor use of MEC’s mobile phone and Internet based applications, for both data tracking and mobile lending provision, including providing input into and testing new technologies or applications as necessary.
- Assist the Global Carbon Team with miscellaneous carbon certification processes and operations, in conjunction with the lending partner.
- Contribute to MEC communications material (e.g. blogs, photos, social media, publications) regarding the clean energy programs as required.
Desired Candidate Profile:
The successful candidate will likely be an early-career professional (e.g. approximately 2-5 years of professional experience), including in particular the following experience and demonstrated skills:
- Experience and Education
- Experience in banking, consulting or program management. Experience with micro-finance or micro-lending consider an asset.
- Experience and knowledge of working in emerging markets, with work in east Africa considered an asset.
- Bachelors degree required, with a degree in a related field (economics, finance, energy) considered an asset.
- Sector Knowledge
- Knowledge of the clean energy/energy access industry and social enterprises in emerging markets.
- Knowledge of trends and technology related to inclusive and digital finance considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to develop processes, solve problems, and work collaboratively in teams, including in decentralized, global teams.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with stakeholders and partners at multiple levels, from field staff to management.
- Social mission motivated, but bottom-line orientated.
This position will be compensated commensurate with experience and relevant skills and competitively in the social enterprise and startup context of east Africa.
How to Apply:
Please send CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Program Manager – Africa.”
Applications will be considered on a continual basis starting March 1st, 2019, and must be received before March 31st, 2019.